Monday, January 04, 2010

"bit and run"

So, what happens to you if you're me and you're embroiled in the midst of an enormous three month long project (with 2 or 3 somewhat smaller [but nearly as time consuming] projects) oscillating around your head? 15 - 17 hours days, 7 days a week, give or take?

Here's what happens --

Your life fragments into two distinct pieces -- work and decompression/Nintendo

* * *

For the last three months on this massive animation project (We're nearly, nearly done and I can't wait to be able to talk about it here, it's for a pretty big company that I'm sure you've heard of) I'd work like mad all day and crash in the early hours of the morning. But not before decompressing with a little Mario. Mario 2 and Mario 3, mostly.

I had to have some kind of in between time before sleep because if I just went to bed my brains would be buzzing with all that I needed to do and I couldn't sleep. So, Mario.

The result of this mix; delirious work schedule, little sleep, and Nintendo resulted in some of the silliest ideas I've ever had.

When I found tiny chunks of time in between the cracks of this enormous project I jotted those ideas down. I quickly amassed several pages of quickly scrawled jokes and notes of Nintendo related humor. Pretty specific, nerd humor. Like, if you haven't played level 4 of Mario 2 you're not likely to know what the crap is going on.

So, some of my energies I channeled into a series of Nintendo themed desktops that I released through GoNintendo, my favorite Nintendo blog. Kevin Cassidy, the guy behind it, is a stand-up fellow, funny, and very kind.

Now, what to do with the other ideas? They became my next personal project --


"bit and run" is a series of Nintendo themed comics. It is comprised of two volumes, each ending in an animated short; a grand total of 26 comics, 2 shorts -- 6 months worth of Friday posts. Volume 1 runs from January 1 - March 26.

Once again I've partnered with GoNintendo to release my work.

With out further ado, here's the first comic :


And if you're interested, here's the initial release day post over on GoNintendo.

These are quick, fun, and easy for me to do. I get a lot of enjoyment out of them and I hope you might too.

* * *

"bit and run" I think of as a "soft" project, it's one that's running in the background and pops up on Fridays. I'm still moving forward on my Alice project and Flight 7 story.

3 comments:

Mike Boldt said...

Wow! Great stuff Cory and another great idea with the comic.
I also know all the hard work will pay off. You guys are amazing!

Unknown said...

Love it! Your artistic style is really awesome keep up the great work!

Mario Games said...

Your work is really fantastic! Everyone of it is so wonderful and artistic.