Friday, August 13, 2010

"bit and run" Vol. 2 #2



* * *

Hey everyone, it's good to be back with bit and run! As I said just about every week during the first run of comics, it's a pleasure to make these. I get a ton of enjoyment out it and I'm very glad if you guys are able to enjoy them as well. I wanted to give you a little bonus for this week, but first a little background on this "bit and run" project -- some of you may remember back in January of this year why I started making these comics. I was in the midst of large client project in the fall/winter of 2009 and I was doing something like 15, 17 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 months. I found that I couldn't sleep after working that long, my mind buzzing with everything I wasn't done with, so to help keep my sanity I'd play a little Mario before I crashed for the night. Mario 2, Mario 3 mostly. I found it absolutely decompressed me. From there, in the early hours of the morning I began to think up comics and started jotting them down while playing. I have no idea why. I don't know where they came from. After a few nights of this I amassed a folder full of quickly scrawled comics and doodles. To contrast making a comic in say an hour or two with a months long project that never seemed complete brought me the satisfaction I was missing. From there we've got bit and run Volume One. So all that to say I wrote all of these comics (Vol. 1 and 2) many months ago.

Now with Volume Two I'm going back to that folder but I'm trying a few new things; spending a little more time on the drawing, pushing the 8-bit palette some, rewriting and adding new comics, and like with today's for example, I made a bonus. Below you'll find an "extended" cut, so to speak. I went ahead with the original version (above) but I decided to do a little extra with the same idea. Certainly the original is my preferred version but after Mario's sentence in the third panel of the extended comic below came to me and struck me so dang funny I had to finish the whole thing. And I like the way the Thwomp looks in panel 2. So, long story short, in the end I wanted to give you guys both. I hope you enjoy.

And one last thing, in case it hasn't been clearly stated yet -- we're back for another three months of Fridays with these comics. August 6th - October 29th. Enjoy!

Cory


Previous,

bit and run Volume Two, 1
bit and run Volume One

1 comment:

Mike Boldt said...

Rock Rock on! Love B&R.