Wednesday, November 03, 2010

charity art - gulf animals


Here is a piece I did a while back for a charity art blog, ripple benefiting animals affected by the BP oil spill. I really can't stand the thought of little creatures in trouble, they can't help themselves.

(For instance, I just spent the evening at the emergency vet with the [formerly stray] cat who recently adopted us. I just really like animals. I always have, what kid doesn't.)

I forgot to post this a couple months back when I first did it. 2010 has been the year of charity auctions for me, I think I've contributed to 4 or 5 this year. I'm very happy to help in someway with work I love to do. And I'm proud to have contributed to ripple which raised over $11,000.

One of the things that has always stuck with me over the years, in fact I find myself remembering it about once a week, is a line from Steven Spielberg's Hook. It's the moment at the end of the film when Peter Pan (Robin Williams) is leaving the Lost Boys and he's choosing who will be the new Pan. Peter chooses, raises his sword and says, "Now I want you to take care of everything that's smaller than you."

"...take care of everything that's smaller than you."

I can't forget that.

6 comments:

Jez Tuya said...

oh wow! this is beautiful!

Jason Caffoe said...

man that's also one of my favorite quotes from that movie.

Gabby Zapata said...

she's just beautiful :D

Mel said...

Beautiful - the art and the sentiment. You have a big heart. Stray kitty is very lucky!

Sadami said...

Dear Cory,
Good on you! Keep up your wonderful work and make others happy.
Kind regards, Sadami

Anonymous said...

This painting is amazing, and I love the quote, Cory! We are in the process of possibly moving to the gulf, so we have a special place in our hearts for those pelicans:)In fact, my younger daughter has decided to start collecting them. Hmmm...I may be asking for a custom piece at some point:)

...kelli