Monday, June 13, 2011

Tomte - The Hidden People


Another piece for The Hidden People in progress, rough.



I'm fascinated with the idea of a tomte.

"A tomte is a mythical creature of Scandinavian folklore. Tomte were believed to take care of a farmer's home and children and protect them from misfortune, in particular at night, when the housefolk were asleep."
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomte


I also love the idea a tomte looking just as scary as the things it is scaring. I've never been a big fan of allegory, to quote J. R. R. Tolkien,
"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of the reader. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

But I do love the notion of C. S. Lewis' Aslan being "not safe but good."

I like to think of a tomte in this way.

And lastly, there's a little Harry Potter influence in my thoughts regarding a tomte as well. I like to think they could summon something like a Patronus.
Hence the owl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I. Love. This.!!!

Your thoughts and influences behind this are absolutely facsinating!

Brilliant, Cory!

...kelli

Anonymous said...

Is going to be the best illustrated book ever!!

Amazing work.

kind regards from Spain.

Larry MacDougall said...

I like your thinking on this.

Mike Bonsteel said...

Nice work, Cory. Great substance behind the art.

Aedan Peterson said...

I love it! That owl is amazing.