Friday, August 10, 2007

Illustration Friday: "Emergency"


“Scavenger!” someone shouted over the noise. “We need a Scavenger!”

Another blast erupted out the side of the machine and blew hot bits of twisted metal and screws through the air. The gas bulbs that hung from the ceiling on thin wires trembled and flickered on and off and on again.

“Windows! Open the windows!”

“That’s against regulations!”

“Hang regulations! The whole floor’s going to blow!”

“Shut it off!” someone else called.

“It won’t turn off!”

“Scavenger!” another voice bellowed. “Where’s that blasted kid?”


________________________________________


An illustration from my forthcoming children's novel, Jack & Inar. Publication is set for early 2008.

Here is this piece, from doodle to drawing to finished piece, time-lapsed:



------------------------------------------

For more about the characters and story of Jack & Inar, click on the links to some previous Jack & Inar posts below:

Who is Adolphus M. Grimble?
The Factory
Filth means production and production means filth
Painting tutorial with "Jack"

22 comments:

Tina Poe said...

I am so impressed by this method! I love the textures and atmosphere created. Your video was really fun to watch too.

Cory Godbey said...

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it.

isay said...

thanks for sharing the process thru video. I enjoyed watching it! Good luck to your book.

I like the rhytmic title of your blog.

CREATIVEGoddess said...

Incredible! So much fun!

D.J. said...

Wow, there's so much movement here. I can feel the weight of the guy in front. Amazing.

Unknown said...

Excellent illustration, you can really get a sense of the emergency. Thanks for sharing the process.

helen said...

Really interesting to see how it was created. Great finished piece.

Mike Boldt said...

Wow, that was truly inspirational!

I really appreciate the video and insight into your work. It even adds more appreciation for what you create when you see how "real" it is.

Fantastic picture as well! I will be keeping my eyes out for this book. Who is publishing it?

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful work - I love the way the smoke draws the image as much as the lines do, in the way it suggests both mood and movement.
Superb.

pRiyA said...

wooo! great drawings.

mike r baker said...

Incredible work. Thank you for sharing the process. This little section of your novel really grabs me. The drawing has a great flow - nice composition an point of view. The characters are wonderful. Excellent!

Cade said...

Awesome artwork. Thanks for sharing your process. I never thought to smudge the pencils to get the shadows and texture. I have done it with classical drawing of nudes but it never occured to me to do it with cartoons. Then you color the pencils in photoshop. Brilliant.

Do you just use your finger to smudge the pencils?

Peter Emmerich said...

This is great man- so glad to find you here!

thousanddays said...

Awesome!I'M ENJOYING THE PROCESS TOO! YOU CAPTURED EMERGENCY SITUATION VERY WELL!

Unknown said...

wow, this is truly an amazing piece!!!

willborough said...

looks great! so much going on it must be an emergency!

B

Unknown said...

splendid work, so much classic

kdhamel said...

Amazing illustration - can't wait to see the whole book!

Cory Godbey said...

Thank you all!

To answer a couple questions,

To Mike Boldt, the company I work for, Portland Studios, is making the jump into publishing with two books in the next 6 months.

To cademan, Right, I smudge the pencil around with my fingers (I'm sure I'll break one someday) and usually erase some out.

Ursula Shaw said...

Wow. Your artwork is fantasic! Loved the video too.

Anonymous said...

Prostate cancer risk factors

imwithsully said...

Thanks for posting the process. It is great to see the way you make such wonderful things happen!