Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sketchbook 2009

The thing that I am most proud of that I got together for Comic-Con is my 2009 sketchbook, Princesses, Monsters, and things that fly.

I love sketchbooks. They comprise most of what I pick up at conventions. They're a glimpse past the finished pieces and into the actual inner workings of an artists brain. To me they're a record of where an artist has been over a given year.

That being said, I began to see a few themes or recurring imagery emerge over the course of the last year, namely, I drew a lot of princesses, a lot of monsters, and a lot of things flying.

Erin suggested the name Princesses, Monsters, and things that fly and it stuck.

My 2009 sketchbook is really more than a sketchbook, and that's why I believe I'm most proud of it and maybe that's why "sketchbook" isn't exactly the correct word for it.

Truthfully it's a collection of where I was from July 2008 to July 2009 -- it's finished drawings, scanned pages from my actual sketchbook, some finished paintings (small prints, really) and even a few storyboard-like sequences. 44 color pages, cover, paperback, saddle stitched.

More than any thing, I'm most proud of this little book. I hope you will like it too.

_____________________________________________

























_____________________________________________

10 comments:

Cateris said...

Wow, this is really gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

I'm loving the Sketchbook. Thanks again. It's one of my favorite spoils from the con.

Cory Godbey said...

Thanks, guys!

Same to you, Jake.

John Neiner said...

always a treat to "peak" into your ideas! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Oh GAHD I want to get this. Someday, someday.

I can't believe that I haven't RSS'ed you blog yet, Corey. this error has been rectified so now I won't miss an update.

Seb Mesnard said...

Look sublime!! Bravo Cory!

Desiree said...

Looks awesome, I really love your blog you have fantastic work!

Maryam Tabatabaei said...

Hi Cory,

I really love to have your new sketchbook but when I tried to buy it for Etsy, I found out it can't be shipped outside U.S. :(
I want it to be my birthday present actually! I do such things for myself! But apparently it's not possible...
If there's a way for me to buy it, please please let me know and I'd really appreciate it...

Best,

Maryam

tapsi said...

Beautiful :)

I also checked it immediately on Etsy and was disappointed to find it won't ship outside the U. S. :(

Cory Godbey said...

Hey Tapsi, I just updated my shop announcement : http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6489197

I can ship internationally, I just need an address to check with my post office and then I can make a custom listing.

Thanks!